Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Happy New Year

Please don't mistake the recent inactivity here for an abandonment. I've been busy with Christmas, my birthday, New Year's, and an escape to sunny California this past week. I hope everyone managed to enjoy the season.

The year closed without the provincial Fiberals managing to pass a new City of Toronto Act. Quite frankly, there's no hurry - from what I've heard this will only make things worse. City council's drunken sailor act has grown to Titanic proportions - and allowing them to raise more taxes and fees will just fuel the fire. There's no justification for the operarting budget to be growing at about $0.5 billion a year - which works out to 8-9%.

I'm pretty sure the Fiberals understand this - but they lack the courage to put the city's finances under provincial supervision.

Well, it's going to be an interesting year:

1. We'll see some resolution on the St. Clair front
2. Perhaps some type of legislation on Toronto will be forthcoming from Queen's Park
3. and or course, we'll be voting in municipal elections come November

I'll be supporting Jane Pitfield.

No comments: