Sunday, February 16, 2014

The pineapple

Jumping ahead to our stay on Oahu. We enjoyed a week plus at Disney's Aulani Resort - which is really first class accommodation.

On this trip, we eschewed central Honolulu and Waikiki. We did make a trip over to the north shore -and stopped for the famous tour of the Dole pineapple plantation.

This is worth a stop on the way. It wont take more than a couple of hours - and it has a good restaurant for a reasonable priced lunch.

However, the pineapple is the star! You would have to try hard to avoid enjoying this fruit in some shape or form during a visit.



if you pay attention on the train ride around the plantation, you'll learn that the pineapple is a bromeliad. You might also learn that the fruit contains bromelain. This enzyme helps digest protein.

Now - why do I mention that. In the weeks before our trip, I was suffering from heartburn and acid reflux many nights. During my time in Hawaii, i did not.

I've been including pineapple in my diet almost everyday since getting back to our cold climate - and for the most, I have not suffered a relapse. As it turns out, pineapple and papaya are recommended as part of a diet to help GERD sufferers. All I can say is thank God that it's a tasty fruit that reasonably economical.

(I know I won't find a pineapple for $1 - as I did in the Safeway at Kaanapali.)

No comments: